Read our June 2020 employee-owned company statement on Black Lives Matter.
The tragedies of the summer of 2020 have made us all question deeply as a company what actions we will take to create change. In addition to condemning police violence and racial injustice, what are we doing to address those issues? What could we be doing? What should we be doing?
Our first step has been to create a Black Lives Matter Working Group, tasked with helping the company identify and move forward with specific long-term commitments:
Ending police violence against Black people
Addressing racism and bias at Community IT
Working to end racism in American society
We will periodically post Black Lives Matter progress report updates here on the steps Community IT Innovators is committed to, and the outcomes of these changes.
- Begin with internal conversation and reflection. Have discussions led by experts and internal staff about why Black lives matter to us.
- Evaluate and transform the structure and activities of the company to further social and racial justice.
- Seek opportunities to celebrate and elevate minority voices in our company and incorporate them more broadly in our internal and external communications.
- Seek opportunities to work with our nonprofit technology community and more widely with the technology sector to combat racism, elevate minority leaders, and promote equity.
- Engage with local organizations to support actions to end police brutality.
- Search for a consultant with expertise in diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Formed an internal BLM working group, currently made up of 7 selected employee volunteers, CEO, and other resource staff
- Added BLM banner to website, with link to company statement
- Created and will maintain this post updating ourselves and our community with our dreams, the progress we are making, and the outcomes achieved.
- Drafted an RFP for consultant selection process
We know the next steps we will take, as an employee owned company, to address grave social problems in a meaningful way will be challenging.
Learn more about our Request for Proposal: Consultant here.
We are grateful for the work of our employees to center this challenge company wide and we have committed ourselves to work hard to rise to this opportunity to transform our company into a more meaningful place to work and a better agent of broader social change.
We strive to live our values throughout our work; with our clients, with our colleagues, and with our internal structures.
We look forward to where we might go next, and we will keep our community informed of our Black Lives Matter progress.